Read about the Growing Occupational Health and Wellbeing Strategy launch on 20 June, the new Diploma in Occupational Health Practice for nurses, and much more!
Growing OH – Phase 1
Throughout 2021, the Growing Occupational Health team organised a number of OH stakeholder events, conducted a wide-ranging OH professionals’ survey and developed a discussion document to inform the case for future development.
Growing OH events
The Growing OH Programme got underway in 2021 with a series of engagement events open to our OH colleagues, senior leaders, wider stakeholders and service users, including employees and managers. They shared their feedback on the vision and drivers to further shape the collaborative programme of work.
Growing OH survey
The events were accompanied by an online Growing OH survey, completed by stakeholders, with ideas shared and comments provided to help shape the future of how occupational health services are received and delivered.
A Growing OH discussion document was developed with input from OH colleagues and experts, as a starting point in informing the case for future development and investment. The discussion document was used at the engagement events with stakeholders and the OH community to explore and develop the programme.
Growing OH areas of focus
From these activities, we identified some areas needing action. These are divided into two groups:
- Easy fixes
- Ideas to develop and grow
These are the changes that most stakeholders we have spoken to so far believe to be essential and needed urgently. To avoid delays and demonstrate our commitment to change, we are starting work on these areas during the first year of our programme.
Easy fixes include:
- launching the Growing OH programme
- starting engagement and co-design work with our OH community and wider stakeholders, to further shape the Growing OH programme vision and areas for improvement and investment
- identifying, supporting and learning from pockets of service improvement in OH
- developing the leadership capability of our OH community, through a suite of development programmes
- starting to identify and share evidence-based practice in OH, to further shape the programme of work.
Ideas to develop and grow
These are some of the other areas that we’re looking at doing, depending on what emerges from our ongoing engagement. Ideas to discover and develop through co-design with stakeholders include:
- designing a blueprint for future-facing OH services and delivery models
- quality standards, including SEQOHS
- growing our OH workforce
- using technology more effectively
- measuring OH service outcomes and impact
- creating a trusted OH profile
- making OH a strategic and integrated organisational partner, with board-level influence
- determining the role of OH in proactively preventing ill health and creating a wellbeing culture for the future, balanced against supporting pandemic intervention and recovery today.